Welcome to our user forum (read only mode).
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many case statements can you use in a script

Go down

How many case statements can you use in a script Empty How many case statements can you use in a script

Post  mcs Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 am

Hi

We have noticed some interesting behaviour with our scripts when using case statements to select groups of oocytes for recording. If we use 19 case statements then the script executes every case statement serially (ie all the code in each case statement as if each case statement is true) irresepective of the logic of the statment. if we delete one case statement and then restart the script then everything behaves as expected, we haven't tested this extensively and were curious if there is some limit or other explanation for this problem.

thanks

steve

mcs

Back to top Go down

How many case statements can you use in a script Empty Re: How many case statements can you use in a script

Post  mcs Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:14 am

Hi Steve,

have you send a copy of your script to Christine from MCS? In order that she can try to reproduce the error ...

Can you explain me why you need so many cases (maybe there's another way to do what you want)?

Ciao,
Mike

Bayer Technology Services / Electrophysiology

mcs

Back to top Go down

How many case statements can you use in a script Empty Re: How many case statements can you use in a script

Hi Mike

yes I have sent a copy to christine. We use that many to break the plate up into groups of oocytes to create a dose response curve. We do single values per oocyte to try and speed things up a bit (else it can take 10 mins between doses to allow full recovery from inactivation) and simply select 3-6 oocytes to make sure we get 1-2 good responses. I guess we could do it by writing the code to keep repeating a dose until we get 2 good response but that would be a lot more coding! If you have some other ideas that would be great.

Cheers

Steve

mcs

Back to top Go down

Hi Steve,

do you use a reference between your compund applications? Then you can compare the reference after the compound with the reference before the compound. Someting like this:

if $VAR_Result not_between $VAR_Reference +-$VAR_variance% then next
begin_if
end_if

For more help, I need more information about your protocol ...

Ciao,
Mike

Bayer Technology Services / Electrophysiology

mcs

Back to top Go down

Post  mcs Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:15 am

I understand that you want to apply only 1 compound per oocyte, because the number of oocytes are not limiting in your case, but your compound washout time is quite long.

Firstly, there are no built-in limitations of the Case Blocks. So the script should work as you expect it.

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce the error here. I cannot test the script with the Gilson commands, however. So we would need some more information about when the problem occurs exactly for a further analysis.

Please have a look at the following code. It presents not only a workaround, but makes your code more straightforward, too.

# Compound application
set $VAR_compound := $INDEX / 4 + 1
message "Applying compound number " $VAR_compound
gmove tube 3 $VAR_compound
gpump 3500 backwards
wait 15000

It applies 1 compound to 4 oocytes each. (For example for oocyte 2, the term $INDEX / 4 + 1 gives you 2/4 + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1, and so on)

Best regards, Christine

mcs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum