Ethanol Issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ethanol Issue

Post  ptwyford on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:46 am

I received some brand new ITO arrays (30/200) and cell growth was great for the first few cultures. I cleaned by a simple DI rinse and sterilized via autoclave. I used PEI to increase cell adhesion. After one of my cultures had a yeast infection, I briefly rinsed all MEA's with 70% ethanol, followed by a DI rinse and autoclave. Now every time I plate 90-95% of the cells die within the first 4 hours. I have used ethanol before with no issues, but never on ITO arrays. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

ptwyford

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ethanol Issue

Post  Frank MCS on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Dear Ptwyford,
the cells never actually see the ITO, as it is under the insulation layer, so this can't be the cause of the problem. Is it possible that you fixed the yeast with the EtOH on the MEA surface? Maybe you could do a regular detergent/enzyme cleaning as described in the MEA-Cleaning manual (http://www.multichannelsystems.com/uploads/media/MEA-CleaningQuickGuide_05.pdf).

Frank MCS
avatar
Frank MCS

Posts : 181
Join date : 2008-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ethanol Issue

Post  ptwyford on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:36 am

Not sure what the problem was, but that seems to have cleared it up. There was essentially a clear film that peeled off the center of the MEA during the soak. Thanks!

ptwyford

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ethanol Issue

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum