maximal voltage for the additional analog channels

Go down

maximal voltage for the additional analog channels Empty maximal voltage for the additional analog channels

Post  sjweng on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi,

I am using a 60 channel USB-MEA system. I am planning to use one of the four additional analog input channels to record voltage signals generated by a stimulator, but I have no idea what the maximal voltage (through these 4 additional analog input channels) the amplifier can bear. Would you please give me some information on this? I am worrying If I use too high voltage the MEA amplifier might be destroyed. Thanks.

sjweng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

maximal voltage for the additional analog channels Empty Re: maximal voltage for the additional analog channels

Post  Thomas on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Dear sjweng,

the analog input signals are not amplified, but they are just digitalized in the connected DAQ. Please check the input range of your data acquisition device in MC_Rack with connected hardware. Typically you should see a range of about +/- 4V, however it may varie depending on your device connected.

Greetings

Thomas

Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

maximal voltage for the additional analog channels Empty Re: maximal voltage for the additional analog channels

Post  sjweng on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks, Thomas. I've checked the input voltage range in MC_Rack. Your are right: it is -4096 to +4096 mV.

Another question is that, if I connect a TTL (5 V) output to one of the analog inputs, and run the TTL device, will this damage the system?

-SJWeng

sjweng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:33 pm

No problem, you will just be clipping the signal
Thomas

Thomas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sjweng on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 am

Forgive my wordiness --- So it will be fine even if I am running the TTL device for a long time (e.g. the input voltage is at +5 V for tens of seconds, not just transiently) when it is connected to one of the analog inputs instead of a digital input port? I just want do make sure about this, because in the "(USB-) MEA-Systems Manual", I find such words:

...You could also use the analog inputs for triggering the MC_Card or the USB device, but please note that the digital inputs are intended for accepting TTL pulses...

Thanks!

Sjweng

sjweng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank MCS on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Dear Sjweng,
Thomas is travelling today. Applying 5V for an extended period of time to the Analog In won't damage the system. I don't know how a trigger detector set on this channel will behave, though. Just give it a try.

Best regards Frank MCS
Frank MCS
Frank MCS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sjweng on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Thank you, Frank & Thomas. Now I am totally relieved. I have tried - The analog in can work as a trigger channel quite well when I connect a 5V TTL output to it: no damage, and I can use the TTL signal to trigger the recording. That's FanTasTic!

SJweng

sjweng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum