Welcome to our user forum (read only mode).
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to clean MEAs after mold??

2 posters

Go down

How to clean MEAs after mold?? Empty How to clean MEAs after mold??

Post  holly87 Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a question. Sometimes we find mold in our cultures on MEAs. In this case, we wash the MEAs with tergazyme, then distilled water, then sodium hypochlorite 1% (bleach, which should kill mold..)m and again with tergazyme.. Then, we store the MEAs in water in the fridge, waiting for the following plating. Before the plating, we apply a plasma cleaning and then dry-heat (110 °C overnight) the MEAs..
We never noticed any alteration in electrodes performances after the cleaning with bleach, so we don t think it is damageful to MEAs..do you confirm this?
Since sometimes the mold appears even if we are really really careful during every operations with the MEAs, we have a doubt: maybe the spore have attacched to the MEA and with our sterilization routine we don't remove them and so we will have mold every time...As far as you know, is it possible? How can I clean my MEAs in order to remove the spores, so that if I observe mold I am sure it is not a problem of the MEAs?
Please help!
Thank you!!!!

holly87

Back to top Go down

How to clean MEAs after mold?? Empty Re: How to clean MEAs after mold??

Post  Frank MCS Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 am

Dear Holly,
I would simply autoklave the MEAs.

Best regards Frank MCS
Frank MCS
Frank MCS

Back to top Go down

Post  holly87 Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Thank you, I will try with the autoclave then.
Another question: as far as you know the cleaning with sodium hypochlorite after mold could damage the electrodes? With cleaning I mean a really rapid rinse with sodium hypochlorite (less than 5 seconds), immediately followed by an abundant rinse with water..
Thanks!

holly87

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank MCS Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 am

Dear Holly,
actually I don't know. We do not recommend the use of basic or acidic cleaning agents in general, as they may damage the isolation layer. However, no systematic data exists whether a short treatment will be problematic or not.

Best regards Frank
Frank MCS
Frank MCS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down