Welcome to our user forum (read only mode).
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range of cardio myocite action potential peak voltage

Go down

Range of cardio myocite action potential peak voltage Empty Range of cardio myocite action potential peak voltage

Post  mcs Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 pm

I am having to test an MEA system and I am concnered about the noise level (~ 30 microvolts peak-to-peak). Seems low but I am unsure as to what levels to expect from rat cardiomyocite cells. can anyone share a rough order of magnitude for the Action potential peak of a neonatal cardio myocite cell?

mcs

Back to top Go down

Range of cardio myocite action potential peak voltage Empty Re: Range of cardio myocite action potential peak voltage

Post  mcs Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:20 pm

The noise level mostly depends on the electrode size and material. For a 30 µm diameter electrode made fron TiN the noise level should be in the range of less than 10 µV. However it is bigger for the smaller 10 µm electrodes and smaller for 100µM Au electrodes.

These noiselevels should not effect your recordings too much. When I record from chicken embryonic cardiomyocyte cultures, I frequently have peak to peak amplitudes of over 2mV for the depolarization component of the AP. If you are interested in the smaller repolarization component I would recommend to use the depolarisation part of the signal as a trigger and use the averager function of MC Rack. (For details how to do that please feel free to contact me)

Greetings

Thomas

mcs

Back to top Go down